Thursday, June 23, 2016

I'm in Seoul but I'm Not a Soldier

Friends and family! Hello! I thought I would post some details of our adventure this summer.

As many of you know, business students go on internships between years 1 and 2. Paul was able to score a great job at Samsung for the next 2 months at headquarters here in Seoul, South Korea.

SO we are temporary expats living life here in a brand new city! With our 7 month old baby. 😳😁From what I understand, there are quite a few expats over here, many with the military (hence the title). Our church even has an English-speaking congregation we will be able to join this summer.

Neither of us speak Korean but we are trying to learn the letters/syllables so we aren't completely helpless. I had a kind friend in Philly go over the basics before we left. The language already makes so much sense to me- Who came up with English anyways?

We drove up to New York and flew out of JFK. We were on Asiana Airlines and let me tell you... I was impressed! And they aren't even paying me to say that (it would be a terrible advertising decision for them ha ha). They have a "Happy Mom" service that provides bassinets and allows you to cut the line at ticketing and immigration. Although the more I think about it the more I'm convinced it's also "Happy Everyone" service.. Who wants to be stuck in line with a crying baby??

The flight over was about 14 hours. Our baby is really good at staying awake, and managed to do so for 10 of the 14 hours! But... He was actually pretty happy most of the time so no complaints. He got lots of attention from adoring Korean women. The impression I've had so far is that most people here really like babies and are good with them too! Several women have already asked to hold him -- our waitress even held him the entire time we ate lunch at a nearby restaurant. This is so different than America.

And speaking of the food... Everything has been delicious so far. Granted I've stayed away from anything too fishy or spicy. I love the flavors- and who can complain about meat, rice, and veggies?? I'll have to get more adventurous soon.

The jet lag hasn't been too bad for me (one of the few advantages of being up several times a night with a baby- it's all the same anyways and you're used to unpredictable sleep patterns). Paul has felt it a little more, and Parker's schedule is a little wacky too. But we are figuring it out.

The city itself is beautiful! Lots of tall buildings, the vegetation is very green, and the humidity kind of reminds me of home. It is pretty hot though.

So far we have mostly stayed in the Gangham area (yes, as in "opum Gangham style") but we hope to explore more soon!

about to jet past all the "Non-Happy-Mom" passengers
ready to board the plane!
Parker looking at his friends on the plane
the bus ride from the airport into Seoul
Finally in Seoul after 23 hours
local convenience store
diapers are universal
delicious! bulgogi and spicy pork
he loves his little play mat they provided
Gangham, our neighborhood

first subway ride- looved the subway

Bongeunsa Temple


Folded-down Ergo... always in style



Aquarium display at Coex Mall

my little grocery helper

5 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the amazing blog and photos of your exciting adventure. What a beautiful place! Thanks!! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay- first: YOU ARE SO BRAVE! International travel with a baby!!! GOLD STAR to you woman!! Also! How did I not know you were going to Seoul?? This is so cool and such an amazing opportunity! Have a blast! (I hope you'll be back in Philly when we're there for the Temple Open House!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for bringing us up to speed because, I'll have to admit, it was quite the surprise! You and your family look happy and healthy and it is heartwarming to hear that the people in Seoul are kind and nurturing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for blogs! I miss you. While you are having amazing international adventures I'll just be reading my books in Chicago... Haha. And why is Parker so big???

    ReplyDelete