Wednesday, September 6, 2017

National Cemetery & Korean War Memorial

It's time to get serious. I'm combining two separate visits into one blog post because thematically they fit so well together. Part 1: Parker and I went to the National Cemetery one weekday awhile back. The grounds were gorgeous, and the headstones go on for miles. I couldn't help but think of Arlington, and how grateful I am for soldiers EVERYWHERE who fight for peace in their home land.






Part 2: The Korean War Memorial is actually several memorial statues + a massive museum + outdoor exhibits and planes and tanks etc. + a children's museum + ????? 
Really, there is so much to do here and it's all SO well done. I waited for a Saturday because I knew Paul would appreciate this, and that was the right call. We both highly recommend it. 



The museum outlined ALL of the wars Korea has been involved in from the beginning of forever ago, right up to the present day. There were exhibits on weapons, modes of transportation, uniforms, foreign assistance, and more. The Korean people have been through a lot! A lot of cultural symbols have been destroyed during various occupations and it makes me appreciate the traditional villages and palaces still standing in South Korea today. 






There's a better picture (where we are actually looking at the camera) but this one just makes me laugh. Family staring contest? Also, it's a reminder to COOL IT with the stripes, guys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment